1. Entry to the Championship is open to members of Clubs affiliated to the Union with a handicap not exceeding 12 at the date of the competition and to professionals and trainee professionals registered with The Professional Golfers Association retained by and working at such Clubs. All amateur entrants must conform to General Rule 2.
2. In the event of there being more that 72 entrants, the players with the highest handicaps shall be balloted out.
3. The Championship shall be decided by strokeplay over 36 holes off scratch.
4. Prize money will be awarded to professionals and trainee professionals and prizes will be awarded to amateurs for gross and net scores but no player shall receive more than one prize.
5(i). The player, professional or amateur, returning the lowest aggregate gross score shall hold the Needler Trophy for one year.
5(ii). The amateur returning the lowest aggregate gross score shall hold the George Ash Salver for one year.
6. In the event of a tie, the winner of the Championship shall be decided under General Rule 6(i), the George Ash Salver shall be shared for an equal period of time, in alphabetical order by surname and all other prize money and prizes shall be decided under General Rule 6(ii).