The Scratch League is a summer event in which affiliated clubs can enter a team, where players are teamed up against other clubs in a gross matchplay format.
This year's Scratch League will consist of four groups of three, each playing each other home and away. The winner of each group will move forward to the Semi Finals, to be played at a neutral course, and the Final at Ganton Golf Club.
|Team No.||Group A||Group B||Group C||Group D|
|1||Driffield||Beverley & ER (1)||Beverley & ER (2)||Burstwick|
|3||Scarbough NC||Kilnwick Percy||Springhead||Hainsworth|
1. The Scratch League is open to Clubs affiliated to the Union to enter one or more teams to play in matches against other teams. Each team shall comprise of three players (not necessarily the same three players for each match) but a player may not represent more than one team during a season. All players within each team must conform to General Rule 2. The format of the matches shall be individual matchplay games off scratch played from the white tees.
2. The Executive Committee shall allocate the teams into divisions and shall determine the format of the competition, which may include end-of-season play-offs between divisions.
3. It is the home team Secretary's/Captain's responsibility to contact the away team Secretary/Captain to confirm the date and time of the match which shall be played within the specified timescale.
4. The Secretary/Captain for each team shall list their team in order of Handicap Index, from lowest to highest. The team lists shall be exchanged and the pairings of the games taken accordingly. Any team with fewer than three players must play against the opposing team's players with the lowest Handicap Indices and must concede all uncontested games.
5. The result of the match shall be decided by the match score on the basis of 1 point for a win and half a point for a halved game. The winning team shall be awarded 2 league points or, where the match is tied, each team shall receive 1 league point. A team failing to appear for a match shall be deducted 2 league points, with their opponents awarded a 3:0 win and 2 league points.
6. The match score and the names of all six players must be emailed to the Scratch League Secretary at email@example.com by the Captain of the home team within 24 hours of the match being played.
7. The team in each division with the greatest number of league points after all matches have been played or determined shall be the divisional winner. In the event of two or more teams finishing with the same number of points, the winner shall be decided by the aggregate match scores in all matches but If they are still tied the aggregate match scores in the games played between each other shall be taken. If no winner results, there shall be a play-off on a neutral course nominated by the Scratch League Secretary and if that is tied, there shall be a sudden death play-off between the player with the lowest Handicap Index from each team.
8. Any end-of-season play-offs between divisional winners shall be played on a neutral course nominated by the Scratch League Secretary. The result of each play-off shall be determined by the match score and if the scores are tied there shall be a sudden death play-off between the player with the lowest Handicap Index from each team
9. In the event of bad weather or the adverse condition of the course a match may be postponed by the decision of the team Captains, provided that play has not commenced in any individual game. If the team Captains cannot agree upon a postponement and the course is still open for play then the match must proceed, unless it is unsafe to do so. Where any or all games in the match have commenced, suspension of such games shall be subject to rule 5.7 of the Rules of Golf. Players in a postponed match which is rearranged need not be those who were originally selected. For suspended games in a match which has been rearranged the players must be those involved at the time of the suspension. A player who cannot resume in a suspended game must forfeit the game.
10. In the event of a dispute relating to the Rules of Golf or any match held under these rules the Executive Committee shall arbitrate. Two members of the Committee shall form a quorum and their decision on any dispute shall be final and binding.
Scratch League Shields
1st Division Donated by the Past Presidents in 1977
2nd Division Donated by the Union in 1979
3rd Division Donated by the Union in 1983
4th Division Donated by the Union in 1997
|Division 1||Division 2||Division 3|
|1983||Hornsea||Scarborough NC||Scarborough SC|
|1984||Springhead Park||Sutton Park||Springhead Park|
|1987||Scarborough NC||Hornsea||Ganstead Park|
|1993||Beverley & ER||Hessle||Brough|
|1994||Beverley & ER||Ganstead Park||Hornsea|
|1995||Hornsea||Springhead Park||Beverley & ER|
|1996||Beverley & ER||Scarborough SC||Hornsea|
|Division 1||Division 2||Division 3||Division 4|
|1997||Beverley & ER||Brough||Hornsea||Springhead Park / Filey|
|1998||Beverley & ER||Driffield||Hainsworth Park||Bridlington Links|
|1999||Beverley & ER||Hornsea||Filey||Cottingham Parks / Ganstead Park|
|2000||Beverley & ER||Beverley & ER||Bridlington||-|
|2001||Beverley & ER||Springhead Park||Sutton Park||-|
|2002||Beverley & ER||Filey||Hainsworth Park||Brid. Links / Hessle / The KP|
|2003||Hull||Driffield||Bridlington||Hull / Bridlington|
|Division 1||Division 2||Division 3|
|2004||Beverley & ER||Springhead Park||Cave Castle|
|2005||Beverley & ER / Scarborough NC||Beverley & ER||Allerthorpe Park|
|2006||Beverley & ER||Allerthorpe Park||Ganstead Park|
|2007||Beverley & ER||Driffield||Scarborough SC|
|2008||Beverley & ER / Scarborough NC||Beverley & ER||Hainsworth Park|
|2011||Beverley & ER||Hessle||Boothferry|
|2014||Hessle||Beverley & ER||Scarborough NC|
|2015||Beverley & ER||Bridlington||Springhead|
|2017||Hornsea A||Hessle B||Hornsea B|
|League 1||League 2|
|2019||Hornsea A||Hornsea B|
Entry to the Scratch League is decided by each club, please speak to your secretary for more information.