Played in conjunction with The Junior Development Championship
The Junior Championship is open to male and female amateur golfers (aged under 18 at 1st January 2022) of clubs affiliated to the ERUGC, and is a 36-hole event. The best gross score will be awarded the Junior Champion title, and there will also be net prizes on the day.
The Boys' Challenge Cup
(Boys under 18 Championship)
This trophy was presented by T. R. Leak (Hull Golf Club) and first played for in 1948. T. R. Leak was the first President of the Union (1947-51).
1948 A. R. Wood (Ganton)
1949 M. Jones (Filey)
1950 I. E. Curtis (Hull)
1951 P. A. Atkinson
1952 J. D. Medhurst
1953 A. W. Bean (Brough)
1954 D. Carmichael (Hessle)
1955 P. E. Bulmer
1956 D. J. Green (Hessle)
1957 A. J. Hall
1958 P. W. J. Greenhough (Brough)
1959 J. C. Groves (Hull)
1960 D. Lewis (Hessle)
1961 M. P. Wilson
1962 M. Drewery (Beverley & ER)
1963 P. S. Bartram
1964 M. J. Kelley (Scarborough NC)
1965 R. T. Potts (Scarborough NC)
1966 G. Drewery (Hessle)
1967 M. F. Greasley (Hessle)
1968 P. Pilling (Bridlington)
1969 D. Liversidge (Hessle)
1970 B. Peasgood (Hessle)
1971 S. D. Grassby (Springhead Park)
1972 M. J. Smee (Hornsea)
1973 P. Shaw (Beverley & ER)
1974 G. N. Taylor (Sutton Park)
1975 P. Sullivan (Springhead Park)
1976 G. Manson (Scarborough NC)
1977 J. Plaxton (Scarborough SC)
1978 B. Scott (Sutton Park)
1979 G. Carver (Brough)
1980 A. D. Hill (Springhead Park)
1981 P. M. R. Townsend (Hull)
1982 S. P. Drum (Bridlington)
1983 R. Wade (Malton)
1984 R. Wade (Malton)
1985 P. Binnington (Hornsea)
1986 M. Smee (Ganstead Park)
1987 M. Smee (Ganstead Park)
1988 M. Smee (Ganstead Park)
1989 R. Mills (Ganstead Park)
1990 R. Webster (Bridlington)
1991 J. Healey (Hull)
1992 J. Smith (Flamborough Head)
1993 C. Smith (Scarborough SC)
1994 R. Finch (Hull)
1995 R. Finch (Hull)
1996 B. Ellison (Hull)
1997 B. EIIison (Hull)
1998 S. Boddy (Scarborough NC)
1999 M. T. Taylor (Scarborough NC)
2000 N. Wilson (Cottingham Parks)
2001 S. Uzzell (Ganstead Park)
2002 R. McArthur (Cave Castle)
2003 D. Connell (Bridlington Links)
2004 A. Pheasant (Brough)
2005 P. Dickens (Bridlington Links)
2006 M. Helyard (Beverley & ER)
2007 M. Helyard (Beverley & ER)
2008 M. Daley (Hainsworth Park)
2009 D. Woodhead (Hessle)
2010 M. Wray (Hull)
2011 M. Wray (Hull)
2012 J. Coyle (Burstwick)
2013 J. Woodhead (Brough)
2014 N. Raybould (Bridlington)
2015 M. Raybould (Bridlington)
2016 M. Raybould (Bridlington)
2017 J. Maxey (Burstwick)
2018 J. Maxey (Hornsea)
2019 J. Maxey (Hornsea)
1. Entry to the Championship is open to any boy or girl who has not attained the age of 18 on the 1st day of January of the year of the competition and has a Handicap Index of 24.4 or less at the date of the competition. All entrants must conform to General Rule 2.
2. In the event of there being more than 72 entrants, the players with the highest Handicap Index shall be balloted out.
3. The Championship shall be decided by strokeplay over 36 holes off scratch. Play shall be from the white tees for boys and the red tees for girls. Caddies are not allowed.
4. Prizes will be awarded for gross and net scores but no player shall receive more than one prize. In determining placings within the net score competition, in the event of a mixed tee competition, the competitor playing over the higher rated course will receive a Playing Handicap of their Course Handicap adjusted by the application of the Handicap Allowance, plus the difference in the Course Rating values (rounded to the nearest whole number).
5. The player returning the lowest aggregate gross score shall hold The Boys' Challenge Cup for one year and he or she shall also be awarded a replica to keep in perpetuity.
6. In the event of a tie, the winner of the Championship shall be decided under General Rule 6(i) and all other prizes shall be decided under General Rule 6(ii).
7. The 16 Juniors with the lowest aggregate gross scores, who are available to play on the dates of the competition, shall qualify for the Junior Matchplay.
1.Entry to the competition is open to any boy or girl who has not attained the age of 18 on the 1st day of January of the year of the competition and has a Handicap Index of 24.5 or more at the date of the competition. All entrants must conform to General Rule 2.
2. The number of entries, combined with the number of entries for the Junior Championship held on the same day, shall not exceed 72. In the event of entries exceeding 72, there will be a ballot of the higher Handicap Index entrants.
3. The Competition shall be a handicap Stableford competition over 18 holes. Play shall be from the yellow tees for boys and the red tees for girls, each scoring Stableford points according to the par and stroke index applicable to their respective tees. Caddies are not allowed.
4. Prizes will be awarded for the highest Stableford scores. In the event of a tie, placings shall be decided in accordance with General Rule 6(ii).
Book your place in the Junior Championship or Junior Development Championship. Entries close 4th August 2022.